Sunday, September 18, 2011

Irresponsible. I know.

  1. Ideas. An excellent paper responds to the given assignment. It's interesting and and clearly communicates its main ideas. It may also recognize the opposing arguments, but will follow up with a well thought-out significance. Whereas a mediocre paper is a much weaker version. 
  2. Style. Another reason an excellent paper is, well, excellent, is the level of detail. It will use a specific style and appropriate wording in all the right places at the right times. How a sentence is worded fits the paper's audience and purpose. They will focused and varied, instead of drawn out and unnecessary. The mediocre paper will be vague and use general dialogue. Its sentences may be repetitive and confusing. 
  3. Requirements. This one is the most obvious tell tale signs. A paper will most likely receive an "A" if it has checked off all the requirements the teacher and/or rubric has asked for: size, font, margins, grammar, paper length, etc. There should be little to no mistakes. 
The biggest problem I have with writing a paper is style. I can never fully explain what needs to be explained while fitting in the right words. I always lack some detail that would ultimately make my papers great. For example, I could be at the last paragraph of my paper, which is usually the conclusion. Two or three sentences later, I'm done. I get feedback on that last paragraph and readers are left wondering what the bigger picture of my paper was. I clearly met the requirements, but in general, there's never enough substance.

No comments:

Post a Comment