Saturday, November 5, 2011

Peer Review

The peer review is very effective. Personally, I like meeting with one of my classmates instead of two or more people because we can really focus on each others' writing. Although the provided questions on the peer review sheet are not difficult to read, they can be difficult to understand while reviewing a rather complicated paper. The fault of this issue does not weigh heavily on the questions as much as it does on the students' understanding of the assignment. So I guess the only way it can be improved is to ask more questions for a better comprehension. This also ties into the weakness of a peer reviewer. If I do not fully understand the assignment, then I could potentially send another peer down the wrong path. Another one of my weaknesses is the drafting stages and deadlines. Most times, I can't type a full paper for a draft. I space out the weeks before the final deadline to write sections of the paper, and then have someone look over everything. The most I would have prepared for a draft peer review are the body paragraphs and central idea. Everything else that might be included (the conclusion, intro, and thesis) feel "rushed." Therefore, I don't bring my best ideas to the table. My strength is my grammar skills. I'm not perfect, but I always have a gut feeling (and use of past grammar classes) when a sentence uses improper grammar. 

My ideal peer review process is in a semi-casual setting with no judgements toward a paper. I find it helpful to do peer review after I have understood the concepts and have written an entire draft. One on one works best for me since larger groups tend to get off topic. The amount of time is okay. I like the fact that we are able to have more than one day to review. During the first article argument review session, I made mini deadlines to my peer reviewer. For example, I mentioned one of my weakness is not having a complete draft. I told my peer I would have a thesis or a personal analysis ready for him by the next meeting. He gave me tips and ideas on how I could construct the missing parts of my paper.

No comments:

Post a Comment