Thursday, October 27, 2011

Persistant Little Buggers

The half-way mark of Writing I has arrived...with a vengeance. I would look at both of my papers, but one is currently unavailable...*ahem*. Anyway, here are my patterns of error I have identified within my papers:

  1. I never get to the point of my paragraphs. Imagine a friend telling you and everyone around about her near-death experience. The beginning of her story draws everyone's attention, while the middle keeps them on their toes. Suddenly, she skips the most important part: the whole point of the story. Everybody wonders, "Why did XYZ happen?!" No one will ever know because she completely disregarded the significance. That's a more 'exciting' version what happens in my paragraphs. This makes the audience not want to continue reading my paper. Honestly, who wants to be strung along? 
    • Writing the significance of each paragraph is probably my most difficult task in writing. I cannot guarantee my success in always correcting this mistake, but I could try to ask myself, "Okay...the point of ____ is...?"
  2. The word that is constantly used throughout my paper. I was able to catch this error while writing a sociology paper. When I realized I use that too much, I had to look back on my ad analysis paper. And sure enough, I found more than plenty of the word. Not only is using the same word too many times throughout a paper repetitive, but it's irritating to read and takes away the meaning of the infected paragraph.
    • I don't have a serious problem with this error anymore. My last paper may only have two or three that's, give or take. I know I can't slack off on this issue, but at least I know what to look for.
  3. My supporting paragraphs hardly ever tie in with my thesis, or vise versa. Although this error is similar to the first, they're not the same. I could have great body paragraphs that fit so well into my paper. However, they have nothing to do with my thesis. Without the supporting paragraphs backing up the thesis, then there really isn't a point in writing them at all. I might as well have written an intro and conclusive paragraph and be done with my paper. 
    • I could summarize my body sentences and refer them back to my thesis. If they have nothing to do with the whole purpose of the paper, then I could omit them, or try to revise them.

No comments:

Post a Comment